Instantly you realized you were not giving so much attention to your health when you met an old friend at a pool party. You were speechless seeing her as gorgeous as you were in college. Still in shape though she already got 2 daughters, while you cannot even feel where your waistline is. It’s never too late to start checking your health habits. Now is always a good time to start, tackle and maintain a few simple and healthy lifestyle changes.
To launch a successful approach to weight loss and healthy eating habits, studies showed that people with the best chances of getting results are those who do it slowly but persistently or without giving up. You may find yourself eagerly exercising and eating healthy for a few weeks. But, when there’s no significant change in your weight – determination quickly dies and the old unhealthy habits are back.
Making big changes at once is seldom successful when it comes to losing weight. You should do a little at a time, take it easy on yourself and take only realistic changes that you can really achieve. Losing 10 lbs. in two weeks is ridiculous and do not even try it by not eating enough amounts of food and over exercising. That is so harmful! Fasting, extremely low calorie intake and starvation affect the body’s metabolism. Diet experts say that is it best to reduce food intake moderately while increasing physical activities moderately.
- Exercise – at least 30 minutes of exercise daily and increase intensity gradually. Consult a professional about physical exercises for more health benefits.
- Eat healthy foods – substitute salty and sugary snacks, processed meat and other foods and pastries with fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle – it means making a commitment to keep exercising, eating only healthy foods and being more active.
- Make a daily food record – you can get advice from a dietician if you don’t know how to choose healthy foods, or search online.
- Get your weekly weight – it is important to see if you are on the road to getting your goal even slowly (but surely). Don’t give up, keep your determination burning but don’t be in a hurry.
- Congratulate yourself with a reward – after losing some pounds, perhaps you can treat yourself to a spa, visit someone special to bring the good news, or buy new clothes when the old ones seem to be getting loose.
The Importance of Keeping a Healthy Weight
Getting a healthy weight is a very important part of your overall health. It can help prevent or lower the risk of having many health issues encountered by overweight/obese people like high blood pressure, gallstones, kidney stones, heart disease, diabetes, certain cancers, depression, stress & anxiety, sleeplessness and more. Staying fit makes you feel good and confident, pleasant to deal with, a role model to people around you, and happy to enjoy your family, work and lifestyle.
Regular exercise, getting enough sleep, eating healthy foods, and staying away from prohibited drugs can do wonders to the body. Do it over a lifetime. If you need an extra push to keep moving, find things or people that can motivate you. Maybe a companion while doing your regular exercises or jogging will be fun. Inviting a friend over to prepare healthy recipes and sharing the food is also wonderful. Remember that the key to getting your ideal weight is doing only ‘doable’ changes without quitting!